Driving new G35 vs BMW

Hey Folks -

I remember about a month ago, there was this post about a guy saying the Infiniti G35 was better than any BMW out there, or something of that nature. People went back and forth about the differences, and everything. I just wanted to add my 2 cents since my good friend just picked up his new 6-speed, fully loaded G35 from the dealership last Thursday.

First, it is an amazing car. Hands down, for the price, it is a great bargain. And I have to say, you can see that Inifiniti put a lot of design/testing in EVERYTHING.

But, in the end, its still not a BMW. Don't get me wrong - when I drove it, it has amazing feel/sound. The seats are incredible. The clutch is almost perfect. The handling is pretty nice. But, it still didn't feel like a BMW. I've not only driven my BMW, but also and M5 and M3 (other friends - silicon valley has tons). For some reason, there is something addictive about the way a BMW "feels" when you drive it. Sure - the automatic air control may suck, there are too many dirty mis-used bmw's out there, but in the end, I just feel like it fits.

In the end, I do think BMW as a company could learn a thing or two from Infiniti and easily smoke them -

- the way you are pampered at the dealership (sure Infiniti dealerships need to do that to get/keep customers, but sometimes I feel as though they don't care at some of the BMW dealerships)
- the comfortable seats
- the temperature control
- the community feeling of Infiniti drivers

On the last note - you should see how many other Nissan and Infiniti drivers go OUT OF THERE way to compliment my friend and his new purchase. I've owned my car for almost 3 years and have had only 2 BMW drivers ever comment on my car and share our passion. I love this board because we are all passionate, but it would be nice to meet some people out there on the street (especially with as many BMW owners in my area).

Comments? Feel the same way? Beg to differ?

Still, never would turn my 3 year old BEAUTIFUL machine, because after all, it is the ultimate driving machine.

Yeah, BMW dealers need to be nicer, but they get enough customers so they can afford to piss off people cuz someone else will buy it.

I like my seats, but I do wish the up/down movement was a straight up/down and not diagonally

yeah, the temperature control has kind of got a mind of it's own, but BMW isn't a Japanese company. They really need to bite the bullet and just get electronic parts from Japan so they'll finally be reliable and well designed.

I think G35 owners are a tight community b/c there are so few of them. Once it gets trendy, there'll be a lot of people who just bought it for the name (like a lot of BMW owners) and the community won't be as tight.

Miz

It's funny you say those things about BMW seats and the Dealerships......I too think the seats could be a little more comfi but I guess they'll always go back to saying...."it gives it more of a sporty feel".....I guess when I think about it....My seats are pretty comfortable compared to my mothers car and even my dads...and they both drive Benz.....as for the clutch..I questioned how it feels sometimes and right now...the dealer is checking my clutch because it squeeks when depressed........I guess I wouldn't really be able to comment on the staff at BMW ...I bought my car off a friend and I made friends quickly with everyone there including the manager......but other than that....I feel I got scimmped on the sterio,the horse power and oddly enough I question the paint job!!! But I guess you just gotta' get to a point where you say.."I got's me a BMW" LOL
Miz.[:D]

no contest

test drove the g35 last weekend and while it has monster power, there was a definite weakness in the "feel". It lacks the solid self assured "drive me to the limit" confidence that the 330i inspires. I thought the steering was to light, and the chassis made me nervous when I kicked the throttle.
IMHO the solid feel of the 330i makes its the clear winner. I even drove the new Honda V6 coupe and liked it better than the G35

Hmmm

The comment on only 2 BMW owners ever commenting on your car goes back to my OLD post of BMW owners being SNOTTY and STUCK UP.

Everyone on this site does not seem to be that way though.

I currently drive a '99 WS6 Trans Am and EVERYONE comments on the looks of my car. No matter what kind of car they drive. However, NO BMW OWNER has ever commented on my car.

So are the majority of bimmer owners out there stuck up?? Well I say yes.[mad]

I just went through this phase. Personally, I went with the G35 Coupe because I liked the new look, the engine was more fun, and the shifter felt really precise and clear...I was really really impressed. Both vehicles offer similar handling and braking performance. One problem with the G35 Coupe was that, although it was very comfortable to drive fast, it just felt bland. I think this "blandness" is a problem with most Japanese cars. There is something about the BMW...that feels so good when you are pushing them hard. I don't know what it is, but this time I guess that feel was not worth the extra $6K in my opinion, so I went with the G35 Coupe (6-Speed, of course!).

Totally agree with you Dekion. Not only are majority of BMW owners snobs, so is the company. Honestly, I love the fact that I bought one while they were still at the peak of their performance/price/style. The new style, the new ergonomics, and even some of new selections show the BMW isn't listening to customers. Why make a beautiful 7 or 5 series car, that was one of the most elegant luxury sports cars ever, into a bulky beast that now makes you go - hmmmm - instead of - DAMN!

I just don't get how after almost 10-20 years of beautiful cars, great improvements and industry leading standards, how they could put out anything that doesn't make any person weak to their knees. Honestly, I've never had anyone not like my car. But including myself, I know tons that don't like the new 7 series (and 5 series is following).

I've even noticed in reviews from Car & Driver (and other magazines) that BMW isn't the clear winner anymore. I almost think the snobby attitude is going to get the company in trouble. They need to wake up and realize that not all BMW drivers will buy a BMW just because of the name. They still have to like driving and looking at the car.

My next car was going to be a 5 Series sedan, but now I'm not so sure. Especially with the new 5 series looking less elegant and more like a cadillac, I'm going to look around. Plus, its out there - other luxury car manufacturers have better deals and better over-all packages for the money.

BMW has to put some petal to the metal and take my breath away again. I want to be envious of someone driving a new 7 or 5 series, not sitting there going - wow, lots of $$, but not the best vehicle for the price.

Last edited:
power

Who gives a shit about seats or community fealings! What BMW could learn from Infinity is that BMW needs more hours power and torque! That is IT. I'm sick of hearing complaints about BMW being underpowered compared to these new models from Japanese makers.

You guys are being way too harsh. The new 5-series is gonna be hot, and the updated 7-series (for 2004) will be nice and sporty, as well. People are being so stupid about iDrive. It's so much easier to use than people say it is. If you try to use the voice commands to do everything, then you're stupid and you should go kill yourself. The iDrive knob is there for a reason...it is the main way to use everything...the voice commands are there for backup in case you don't want your hands off the steering wheel. Also, several magazines have only complimented on the performance the new 7-series offers...they say it is a great combination of sport, while retaining all the qualities of a super luxury sedan.

Mr Elussive -

That's a whole other thread about the new BMW look coming out (with the very strange backside). I was just trying to make a point about BMW no longer having a form or shape that is as appealing as it has over the years. I totally agree that some of the new tech advances are very nice. Almost all famous car bodies are linked back to how "sexy" they look - Corvette, the new G35 Coupe (the 4 door lacks this sexiness), the Porsche, several BMW's, etc. There is very little sexiness in the new BMW bodies, making it seem cold. The reason BMW is the industry darling is because they continuously have put out cars that in an overall package, beat anyone else hands down. They may not be the fastest, most HP, torque, comfortable seats, best customer care, but they still win out in the overall category. When a BMW line starts to move away from its strengths and not focus on its weaknesses, this is a concern, and will make me think twice before buying a future version of BMW.

But, I wonder if we could turn this thread around and talk about why we think the 3 series is still the best (compared to G35)? Hopefully, responses will only be from people who actually have driven both. If you haven't go out for some test drives.

To start off - I think BMW E46 still has the most unbelievable sound out there. You can hear and "feel" the precision/control. I still get goose bumps everytime I floor my car in the morning merging onto the freeway, after standing still waiting for the damn traffic control light to turn green.

-Stink

I don't own a 3-series, but the several times I have driven it, I am amazed at the feel when driving fast/hard. The position of the steering wheel, watching the gauges rise, hearing the engine, and feeling the acceleration...quite an experience that I feel no other car provides.
That is what I mean about the bland attitude of Japanese cars versus a BMW.

Someone earlier said new 7 series is ugly.... I sure like the current 7 much more than the previous one... It is a nice looking car that makes me tremble when I think that it is it approaching down the road. I think BMW went great with that design.

As to the new 5.... it does look weird (especially the headlamps... man, that's crazy!) and too much like japanese cars. First, I thought it's a joke but then it became official. New 5 series sucks, in my opinion. Guys.... just pray they dont f... up the new 2005 3 series[:D] [:D] [hihi]

For 2004, the new 7-series is going to look like the new 5-series. I think the new 7-series' look was kind of off and the new 5-series is right on target. But hey, that's just me. [8)]

The same (well, similar anyway) thread is going on under "330i vs. G35" or something to that effect. I too test drove the G35 and then the 330i Performance and bought that for 7K more than the G35 fully loaded because it's Not about the money!!!!

The G35 was impressive - I completely agree. But its 280 HP didn't feel half as powerful as the 330's 235. I tried to pull a U - forget about it. And, the engine sounded tinny and so did the clunk of the door closing.

Having said that - and having just bought my third BMW - I would really love it if one day BMW could include some driver ammenities in it's 3-series. There's really no fun gadgets (I'm way into gadget factor) in the interior. No pretty appointments (yes, I'm a girl - I can say pretty), and no wow factor. I'm glad they put the chrome around the gauges. Not so glad that I couldn't get the Performance Package with Burl wood. Obviously it's not a huge factor for me - I still keep buying them for their handling, torque, and exterior styling (love those rims), but just the same.

As far as the dealership - I got much better service at BMW than at Infiniti, Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi. Maybe it's because they saw I pulled up in my 323, but I think it really depends on who you talk to.

And as far as the drivers are concerned - I think it's that yes, they are a bit more snobby and also usually older. I'm under 30 (for a couple more months anyway [;)] . I'm guessing that a lot of us here are younger. But I don't think we're the usual suspects for buying BMWs.

I also have a vette and people ALWAYS talk to me about it. I always get waves from other vette owners when I'm out and about, but that's also one of the cultish aspects of vette ownership. Perhaps we need to start a trend of our own?

[:D]

[:I]

flashinthepan said:
~ 2004 330cic - (on order)
*sigh* I'm so hoping that I don't regret not choosing the convertible. It was a tough decision... I was all ready to order it and then I found out about the PP...

flashinthepan

Arizona says convertible..Oregon says hardtop...lol

Ummm where did we go wrong here ??

I like all the 3's anyways !!

& you'll beat me up in a race...

Have fun !!!

[driving]....... [driving]

I'm all for it - reminds me of when I was a kid and whenever you saw a car like yours (no matter what the make), you'd wave. (Hey, I grew up in a small town).

Can you imagine it though??? I'm driving down the road and I wave at an 80 year old in a 745 IL.... "Martha, I think that whippersnapper just gave me an obscene gesture!!!"

[slap]

Oh, I'm so sorry to anyone who a) drives a 745 and b) is over 80......

[}:)]