Remeber Star Wars kid? Yeah, he lost his mind

this poor bastard....heres the article:

Parents file lawsuit over Star Wars video
Humiliation forced Quebec teenager to drop out of school, document says

By TU THANH HA
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

MONTREAL — The parents of Ghyslain Raza, the Quebec teenager who became a celebrity this spring after classmates posted on the Internet a video of him mimicking a Star Wars character, allege that their son was so humiliated by the experience that he had to get psychiatric care.

The revelation is made in a lawsuit his parents have filed against the families of four classmates they accuse of maliciously turning their son into an object of mockery.

The video of Ghyslain, a portly 15-year-old pretending he is wielding a double-bladed light sabre, has been downloaded millions of times from several Web sites, which dubbed him Star Wars Kid.

Many other pranksters have created their own versions of the clip, with added video effects and sounds. One has him moving at fast-forward speed to goofy music from the Benny Hill Show. Other parodies were made with unflattering titles, such as Dork Clones, or mixed in with sounds of flatulence.

In a statement of claim filed last week in their home town of Trois-Rivières, the Razas say that Ghyslain was so widely mocked at his private high school that he dropped out.

He had to finish the session at Pavillon Arc-en- ciel, a ward specializing in child psychiatry at the Trois-Rivières Regional Hospital Centre.

Ghyslain "will be under psychiatric care for an indefinite amount of time," the statement of claim says.

"The stigma of mental illness can generate social prejudices having severe consequences" on the young man, including making it more difficult for him to enroll in the school of his choice or get a job, or even forcing him to change his name, the document added.

"Ghyslain had to endure, and still endures today, harassment and derision from his high-school mates and the public at large," it said.

The story has appeared in newspapers around the world, from the New York Times to the New Zealand Herald.

The Razas are now seeking $225,000 in damages from the parents of four teenagers: Michaël Caron, François Labarre, Jérôme Laflamme and Jean-Michel Rheault.

They say the four stole the video from a school filing cabinet where Ghyslain had stored a video camera he was using for a student project.

The lawsuit says the four young men then digitized the video before sending it out on the Internet in April, with messages inviting people to make insulting remarks about it.

The statement of claim includes lengthy excerpts that it says come from Internet chats in May between the pranksters.

Complete with misspellings, bad grammar and cyber-style acronyms, the exchanges are used in the statement of claim as evidence that the boys lacked remorse. They also brag in them that they evaded attempts by school officials to find the culprits behind Ghyslain's misfortunes.

Ghyslain's parents and lawyers would not speak to reporters yesterday. The parents of the defendants either did not answer calls or refused to comment because the dispute was before the courts.

While the video of Ghyslain's antics generated some derisive Internet comments, others felt bad and started raising money for him. One group collected more than $3,000 (U.S.), which they used to buy him an Apple iPod portable music player.

In the excerpts from Internet chats filed in court, the four appear to be plotting ways to get the gifts sent to another address so they can keep the iPod for themselves.

and heres the link: http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030723.uboyyn/BNStory/National/

epj3

It's his own damn fault. Shouldn't have recorded yourself on a video tape if you didnt want someone or yourself to see it in the future. Duh

Wadula said:
poor kid, no doubt, but it is really dumb in my eyes. i wonder if he really has that severe problem or if the parents try to make some money out of this story.
In opinion, people sue too darn much. Like that McDonalds coffee thing, man people are sleazy!

Back to the kid, I feel sorry for him, but he really shouldn't have recorded his jedi moves on a school camcorder! Does he believe that no one would have seen that video, if he believed that he is a friggin' moron.

mrferg said:
In opinion, people sue too darn much. Like that McDonalds coffee thing, man people are sleazy!

agreed, it has been the degredation of society to sue for your misfortune. i can only understand about 15% of the cases, the rest are just stupid BS and a product of the safety nets provided for kids by the US and its hypocritical parents.

epj3

People get money any way they can now a days. Hell if a thief breaks into your house, and you shoot him in the foot leaving him with an amputation, he can sue you. That just isnt right. Though, if someone broke into my house and was a threat to me (ie had a gun, knife, etc.), I probably wouldnt be aiming down....

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
People are stepping up to it though. At least Congress passed the bill stating that it "is both immoral and petty to attempt litigation against a restaurant or fast food distributer for being overweight. This is not a question of guilt or liability, but rather a question of self control. Therefor, the bill has been passed to quell these ridiculous threats of litigation."

Suing a restaurant for being fat, is like suing BMW because of a speeding ticket.[?|] [rofl] [8]

Last edited:
actually a good idea. i'll sue them....hey i can at least try. okay i don't have a bimmer here, but at home and there i got a ticket. okay i got the ticket in a VW but who cares? i knew that i will have a bimmer so i floored it. and furthermore their advertising inspired me. anyone with me?

Haha that kid totally deserved to be made fun of. First off, he's fat and thats 100% his fault. 2nd he should have NEVER been doing that, even if he thought no one was watching. 3rd he should be in a hospital anyway - he must be retarded - anyone who watched that video can see how pumped up he gets on the last clips and really gets into it. There has to be something really wrong with you to do that in the first place.

epj3

HAHAHAHAH did anyone see the adult swim ones? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA i almost pissed my pants when the guy ran up to the camera with his tongue sticking out. Oh btw, if you dont understand why it showed a basketball game at the end for a second, watch the original video...aparently he taped over a basketball game

http://www.adultswim.com/webcam/gal_mov/sg_kid/index.html[rofl]

Last edited:
hey tim, i think vw probably has a buck or 2.... maybe you can sue them because their cars are made in germany and you thought you could go fast like in your bmw and the cops say you can't because it's not a bmw.... they should put a warning clearly on the drivers side visor stating to obey the speed limits...

junglestylz said:
People are stepping up to it though. At least Congress passed the bill stating that it "is both immoral and petty to attempt litigation against a restaurant or fast food distributer for being overweight. This is not a question of guilt or liability, but rather a question of self control. Therefor, the bill has been passed to quell these ridiculous threats of litigation."

Suing a restaurant for being fat, is like suing BMW because of a speeding ticket.[?|] [rofl] [8]
Isn't this litigation taking place in Canada? They're starting to act like us over there.

Frankly, I think his parents are tryin' to score some bucks. Why doesn't the school sue him for misappropriation of school equipment? If the Raza's claim isn't insane, then what is?

Slander is one thing, but what's up with this? What leg do the parents have to stand on? When was teasing against the law?