What do these car really have?

Hey guys,
Im thinkin about getting one. Im 16 and parents like this car. But its only got about 190 hp. How does it feel? My dads got a 2000 V6 mustang with 193hp and it gets up and goes. What are the bimmers like? Ive never driving one. Im looking for a 92 325is, 5 speed. What can these cars compete with? Just wondering

Thanks

Sean

Ok, i have a 97 328iS 5 speed.... And it is suprisngly quick... I raced a 2002 automatic mustang GT, and beat it.. So, i know for a fact that a V6 mustang SHOULD be a cake walk for you, pending on driving skills, and what not. I bought my BMW as a daily driver so i didnt put so many miles on my RX7, and it wound up being the best descion i ever made, i love my BMW. Its probally the best car i have ever owned. But, like i was saying, great cars, suprisngly quick.
Just my input!
Later!
KB

i got a 95 325i...i've raced anything from a 2001 Honda Accord V6 (beat it) to a 1996 Mustang V6 (beat it)....have yet 2 go against a GT....i've raced cars that really have no chance like suped up civics....i do have a J.Conforti performance chip, cold air intake, and performance exhaust....but a stock 325is is quicker than u may imagine...
...bmw's are also alot of fun 2 drive..havent figured out why yet, but it just is...

Last edited:

Dnz

My continuing stuggle with the question Manual or automatic aint gonna end...

325 is gonna be still fast in auto?

I kno if i get a manual, it will be hard to tind one here, and chances are i could get a not so good clutch, or an abused engine.. So auto wont be crap right? Someone comfort me! heheh

haha you compared a 325 to a V6 mustang. Mustangs are just giant heavy hunks of metal. I really don't think you can compare the two.

I could probably beat a V6 mustang with my e30 325.

Gosh you made me say mustang 4 times now. I hate those friggin heavy aas, can't corner for shet peices of scrap metal.

Please don't ever compare a BMW to a ford product. It is a given.

Hope i didn't offend anyone. I think.

OUCH..[:(] Im affended! ha jk. I actually love my dads stang. Its a blast to drive. [driving] It will get up and go for a V6, but then i have never been in a BMW. The one thing i hate is the rain weather. Since ford is to lazt to put independent suspension in the rear in the leave it a live axle, soo the car is terrible in the rain. This is the reason mom said no to the mustang. The mustang has been a great car up to this 70k mile point. Reciently my dad did a stand still burnout and now it grinds going into fifth. Nothing terrible but its noticeable when u r shifting it. BUt beside that i love that car. But i have never drove a bimmer so...

Well thanks alot guys i appricate it. Hope you guy will see my E36 when i get it, ill be posting pics!

Sean[thumb]

I have a 94 325i manual and it is stock, trust me it will beat any v6 mustang out there as long as you know how to drive it. I would pick a bimmer over a stang hands down. I have driven a lot of mustangs and there is no choice in my mind, bimmer all the way!

carcus

1000 Post Club
Believe me or not, my 328IC, a bit heavy is about the same as my wifes V6 Camaro. Both are automatic. The wifes Camaro has 200hp, but a bit more torque on the low end. My 97 328IC is heavier than a normal E36 being a convert with the structural reinforcements. These cars are not really street racer stuff, just nice SMOOTH cruisers....besides the M3. The BMW makes great power in the high revs...but my automatic does not really give me that feel. Just my honest opinion, I love my BMW, but still like driving the wifes beater every once in a while. Again, I do have a heavy convert....but the Camaro is a heavy pig....unless it has a LS1 in it.[thumb]

Ok, here it is. I have a 96 328iCa, bone stock mecanically...my fiancee has a 99 Trans Am auto.
Yes, she is a girl, but believe me....she can drive.
Not too long ago we raced on the highway, top end from an on ramp...she floored it and so did I. She didn't exactly kick my butt up to my 135mph limiter, I was right with her the whole way. On top of that, the BMW is much, much more stable and glued to the road at those high speeds than the T/A is, I actually passed her once on a curve in the highway, all the while hitting my limiter, the only reason why she passed me again is because her car can do 150 mph (in a fairly unstable way). All this in a 4 or 5 mile stretch.
Not that I recommend top end freeway driving, but hey, what the hell.
As far as off the line is concerned, I've always been very impressed with the performance beeing an automatic 6 cyl in a convertible, easily taking her sisters 2000 V6 Mustang.

Yeah dude, if you're going to get a BMW, get the manual transmission. I learned how to drive on mine, and the drivetrain is a lot sturdier than most vheicles on the road (don't ask how I know [:D]). Just don't be doing burnouts with it, the cops look for teens with BMW's.....

Also, I'd look into getting a 93-95 325 instead of a 92. I say this b/c if you want to tune up the engine, the 93-95 have Vanos. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong guys, but i'm pretty sure the 92's are non Vanos....[confused])

BMW-M-Freak said:
Yeah dude, if you're going to get a BMW, get the manual transmission. I learned how to drive on mine, and the drivetrain is a lot sturdier than most vheicles on the road (don't ask how I know [:D]). Just don't be doing burnouts with it, the cops look for teens with BMW's.....

Also, I'd look into getting a 93-95 325 instead of a 92. I say this b/c if you want to tune up the engine, the 93-95 have Vanos. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong guys, but i'm pretty sure the 92's are non Vanos....[confused])
excuse my retardness, but what is a Vanos? I think cops look more for kinds in Mustangs and Camaros because they are both high on the most crashed list. So are this cars good for street racing? I mean in not going to be going it inless im at the track bc i will only be on my provisionals. But you know if one of those damn civics pulls up and wants 2 race and no1 is around i just want to know that i can take him. Well thanks!!

Sean

epj3

sstrawsb said:
excuse my retardness, but what is a Vanos? I think cops look more for kinds in Mustangs and Camaros because they are both high on the most crashed list. So are this cars good for street racing? I mean in not going to be going it inless im at the track bc i will only be on my provisionals. But you know if one of those damn civics pulls up and wants 2 race and no1 is around i just want to know that i can take him. Well thanks!!

Sean
Psh, i beat civics every day in my mom's minivan (and i'm not kidding). Same with integra's, eclipses (excpet for the fwd turbo), and older preludes.

Remember,

bmw = performance car (for the most part)
Honda Civ*c = Grandmothers econobox

sstrawsb said:

Sean
Vanos is BMW's variable valve timing system, similar to Honda's VTEC. It was added to the M50 engine for the 93 model year. If you can get a 93 or newer, that is the way to go.

You probably don't want to buy an automatic. Those transmisions are expensive to fix and often don't last much past 120k. Besides, the manual lets you drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. [driving]

Don't worry about the street racing. Learn to enjoy driving the car. You'll be able to beat enough of the civics out there with the 325, and you'll learn not to give a sh!t. If speed is your primary goal, buy an old Mustang LX/GT 5.0 (actually a 4.9) and put a supercharger on it. You could do that for the $7500 that a decent E36 is going to cost.

brahtw8 said:
Vanos is BMW's variable valve timing system, similar to Honda's VTEC. It was added to the M50 engine for the 93 model year. If you can get a 93 or newer, that is the way to go.

You probably don't want to buy an automatic. Those transmisions are expensive to fix and often don't last much past 120k. Besides, the manual lets you drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. [driving]

Don't worry about the street racing. Learn to enjoy driving the car. You'll be able to beat enough of the civics out there with the 325, and you'll learn not to give a sh!t. If speed is your primary goal, buy an old Mustang LX/GT 5.0 (actually a 4.9) and put a supercharger on it. You could do that for the $7500 that a decent E36 is going to cost.
Its not that im going for speed. I love the way the BMWs look. Also ive heard they handle like there on rails. I mean come on everyone has dropped the hammer once before. Ya automatic is out of the picture. After i get alot of driving under my belt i want to get a 97 M3 and put on a turbo kit, mmmm lol.

Sean

sstrawsb said:
Its not that im going for speed. I love the way the BMWs look. Also ive heard they handle like there on rails. I mean come on everyone has dropped the hammer once before. Ya automatic is out of the picture. After i get alot of driving under my belt i want to get a 97 M3 and put on a turbo kit, mmmm lol.

Sean
I am not trying to dissuade you from buying a BMW, only from joining the ricer wars. [;)] Of course we all drop the hammer, but it is usually a better idea to do that by yourself on a country road, rather than wasting your clutch at a stoplight to prove a point to some jackass with a heavily-stickered sh!tbox. Of course, sometimes one feels compelled to put others in their place, automotively speaking, and I certainly see my fair share of wanna-be challengers in my 325, not to mention my NSX, (which either makes them bow down or spool up as a matter of course).

As far as the turbo M3 goes, I have not seen many turbo OBDII M3s (1996-on). I think the OBDI (On Board Diagnostics, a govt. mandated emissions system, first generation, i.e. much less restrictive than the 2nd gen.) M3 (95) is more suited for turbo applications. Don't rule out superchargers, as there are many more SC M3s out there than turbos.

Some one told me that the non Vanos were faster?? i have a 97 328iS, an the day i got it, a buddy of mine with a 318 was lookin under the hood and said mine was a non vanos?? atleast that what i think he said?
KB

rjp325i

There is both single and double vanos depending upon the year BMW. The sinlgle works on just the intakes and the double works on both. Both have limited life expectancy. A good place to learn about BMWs is to join the BMW CCA. I did back in 1985 and have not regretted it one bit. It also gets you many discounts on parts. BMWs are not street racers but put them on a track and you will see the others stuggle to stay up with you no matter what their power output. This is all within reason of course. A high speed driving school can teach you really how to drive. We use the Las Vegas Motor Speedway road course which utilizes sections of the NASCAR oval.