Question about old posts

epj3

I'm sure you're busy getting everything up and the way you want it, but are you going to transfer the POSTS from the old forum software?

Glad you switched software, started to get too slow to use, and vbulletin works great [thumb]

Tom

Staff Team
Eric, once we get everything settled...we'll open the old forum back so that members can repost any thread that was unanswered.

The rest will be archived for searching purposes only.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Do you have an idea about when we'll be done migrating? The herd wants to know.

[poke]

Another thing - I've been following a lot of the posts that have been ongoing discussions and although they may have been mostly answered the threads were interesting in that someone may have something to add that we don't know about. I'm not sure what it takes to get this site running and migrate all the data (I'm sure it's a HUGE job!) but would it be possible to take the posts that have been active within the last couple weeks and put them back on the active site rather than waiting for someone to repost? Most people who come here regularly probably never go back more than that so it would be good for continuity for most of the active people.

Speaking of which, how will the reposting work? Will all the responses to the original post show up in the new site or will we just have to start all over again with the original post?

OK, I'm sure you have much to do. Thanks for all your hard work, Tom.

Steve

PS - Love what you've done with the place. Who's your decorator? I have to get him for the cabin. [:D]

Tom

Staff Team
Hi Steve,

We'll make the software available soon for members search and repost. Hopefully by this weekend.

Tom

epj3

bichmgnt said:
Tom,

Do you have an idea about when we'll be done migrating? The herd wants to know.

[poke]

Another thing - I've been following a lot of the posts that have been ongoing discussions and although they may have been mostly answered the threads were interesting in that someone may have something to add that we don't know about. I'm not sure what it takes to get this site running and migrate all the data (I'm sure it's a HUGE job!) but would it be possible to take the posts that have been active within the last couple weeks and put them back on the active site rather than waiting for someone to repost? Most people who come here regularly probably never go back more than that so it would be good for continuity for most of the active people.

Speaking of which, how will the reposting work? Will all the responses to the original post show up in the new site or will we just have to start all over again with the original post?

OK, I'm sure you have much to do. Thanks for all your hard work, Tom.

Steve

PS - Love what you've done with the place. Who's your decorator? I have to get him for the cabin. [:D]
Not trying to take away the ego you just gave tom, but it's really not that hard to do [:p] vbulletin has scripts that import posts.

Oh yea tom, did you *pay* for vbulletin? If so i could have given it to you for um, a discount...

Tom

Staff Team
Eric...I've checked those scripts and they don't apply to Snitz. There is another way which is to convert Snitz to PHPBB and then to vbulletin. However the database kept on bogging down after only a few queries. I've been testing various outlets for about a month now and it seems the best thing to do is to just archive the old forum.

Yeah we wanted to make everything legit so I purchased a licensed copy.[:D]

If there is a script that I had missed, please suggest.

epj3

Tom said:
Eric...I've checked those scripts and they don't apply to Snitz. There is another way which is to convert Snitz to PHPBB and then to vbulletin. However the database kept on bogging down after only a few queries. I've been testing various outlets for about a month now and it seems the best thing to do is to just archive the old forum.

Yeah we wanted to make everything legit so I purchased a licensed copy.[:D]

If there is a script that I had missed, please suggest.
Alright, I have a friend who is an excellent script kiddie. He made his own forum software using perl and filefront. I think he is part of the team at yabb (another free forum software group) and made a converter from mysql to file front. So if you'd like, I could talk to him, He'd probably be more than happy to make a converter.