New Keys

yes, i'm talking about the keys with remote control. Shouldnt there be a DIY way to reset that. What the Bimmer dealer charged is way too high given the work that they have to do to reset the key..........!!

carcus

1000 Post Club
davidriver said:
yes, i'm talking about the keys with remote control. Shouldnt there be a DIY way to reset that. What the Bimmer dealer charged is way too high given the work that they have to do to reset the key..........!!
Well, if it is just the remote, not the key with remote built into the key itself like the newer ones....I can hook you up:

PROGRAMMING BMW REMOTE

Yeah it's easy but you have to follow this in the exact sequence or it will not work.
PREPARATION
1. Close all doors, trunk, and hood.
2. The security system must be in 'disarm' mode.
The key must be remover from the ignition key slot.
ENTER CODE-LEARNING MODE
3. Open the trunk and leave it opened
4. Open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat.
5. Close the driver's door.
6. Cylce the ignition switch five times between the 'OFF' position and position 2, (ignition 'ON', all dash warning lamps will illuminate.) The red status LED will illuminate continuosly, and the siren will 'chirp' once, to indicate the the code learning mode has been initiated.
DO NOT START ENGINE AT ANY TIME DURRING THIS PROCESS!!!!!
The ignition switch cycling in step #6 must be performed within Ten seconds.
The sequence in steps #1-#6 must be performed within 45 seconds.
RERISTER/DELETE ID CODE(S)
7. Open driver's door, (remain seated in drivers seat).
8. Close drivers door.
9. Press and release any button on the remote you wish to register into the system. the status LED will shut off momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.
10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 to register the remaing three ID codes.
It is possible for the system to memorize a total of four differnt ID codes. As a new code is initialized into memory, the oldest code in memory is automatically deleted. If you had lost your remotes and wished to delete the lost remote ID codes from memory, you could initialize the ID code from a newly purchased replacement transmitter four times thereby deleting the previouse ID codes from system memory.
EXITING CODE-LEARNING MODE:
11. Open drivers door, and exit from vehicle leaving the door opened.
12. Close trunk.
13. Close driver's door. The LED will turn off and the siren will 'chirp' twice.
14. The initialization procedure is now completed; test all remotes to confirm operation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just some helpful hints.
~When you turn the key five times turn it as far as you can without starting the car each time.
~When you are entering each button on the remote it says "3 ID's." There are 3 ID's most people forget about the panic button. after you enter the unlock door button enter the lock door button, then after that hold down the lock door button untill the LED flashes. It took me a while to figure that out.

Hope this helps and hope the mods will make this a sticky.
[thumb]

Thanks a lot for the details procedures and all.....unfortunately it is the key with remote built in, so i'm afraid I have to go to the dealer to get it fix huh? Thx anyway.

terry

try this ,,, on your key you have two buttons we will call the round one 1 and the sqaure 2
get into the car close the cdoor then breifly turn the key to position 1, then turn back to 0
Then press the button 1and hold depressed, then press button 2breifly 3 times
within 10 seconds (remember to keep button 1 depressed).

release button 1; the led will flash for 10 seconds . While the led is flashing hold the transceiver close to the receiver at a ditance of about 150mm and press either of the ttwo buttons. The cetral locking will engage then release again indacateing that the transmitter has been initalised . hope this helps