detailing headlight lens

Hopefully this addresses your concern:

http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/How to polishi plastic headlight lenses

This tip includes the use of Meguiar's Plastic Polish and Plastic Cleaner. I haven't tried it so I cannot comment. I'm trying to look for some thin 3M urethane product that fits over the headlight covers for protection. I've seen it online someplace before, but I can't relocate it. [?|]

Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend. Bavarian Autosport has some heavy duty lens protectors (www.bavauto.com in the lighting section) but I don't know if they are removeable. I would prefer a thin, disposable, static held film like the tear off's on my motocycle helmet. Let me know if you find something like that.

rjp325i

Bavarian autosport has headlight shields. They are located in New Hampshire and have an on-line catalog. You canvisit them at www.bavauto.com. You can buy already cut to shape or 2-19x8 in sheets. They are available in clear or smoke and very durable but too expensive to use as tearaways. I believe you can also convert to the European glass covers and virtualy eliminate the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I have an '86 BMW K100, but I really like the new CBR600RR. I've read a lot of really good things about it. I've had enough of the big bikes, since I no longer feel the need to go 160+ (previous bike was BMW K1, wicked fast). I'd rather have a lighter bike that's qicker in the twisties.

00e46

I have used the 3M plastic cleaner (not the polish) and it did a fantastic job of removing the small pitted imerfections.
Please...remember to raise your hood away from the work area, as the 3M polish has a particularly nasty reaction with clear-coat paint. I have used the 3M polish on both E36 and E46 lenses and it is a truly wonderful product.[thumb]

Use Plexus. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's easy and looks great. You can get it at Autogeek.net or Classic Motoring Asscesories.

This stuff is what fighter pilots use on their canopies.

Yeah. Plexus is great! I use it on my motorbike windscreen and helmet's face shield. My bro-in-law picked it up for me at some local shop. I never thought about applying it to the bimmer's headlight covers. I suppose I shouldn't separate the "bike stuff" and the "car stuff" on different shelves in my garage. [:D]

Anthony,
Do you still have the pic of the plastic windows you polished out...,
It was a red car, Porche, Ferarri, one of the nice one's, I don't remember the make, I do remember the windows though:)

Megs #10 and #17, contains a couple of pics

I have used Megs #10 and #17 and they work great on plastic covers of my E39.

I also detailed my neighbors '90 Miata and I asked if I could experiment on his plastic back windshield and below are my results.

before

after

I cleaned the inside and outside. I picked up these products at a local Megs distributor. You can find the one closest to you by visiting Megs site.