Suspension Question

I was in the back seat of my father's friend's X5 3.0 w/Sport Package and I must say, I had a really bad time. The room back there was tighter than expected, but what really bothered me was the ride quality. I have sat in the front of that particular X5 3.0 and in the front of an X5 4.4i w/Sport Pacakge, and the ride was very acceptable...taut, yet absorbed the rough roads well. But sitting in the back was like riding in a school bus! I was going up and down like crazy, feeling all the vibrations and changes in the road, and it was just the harshest ride I have ever experienced. What gives???

Do you know if his has the rear air suspension? I wonder if his rear tires are overinflated. When my X5 arrived, the rears were overinflated and the ride was school bus-like. Reducing the pressure to 32 psi, as recommended in the owner's manual, helped enormously. (39 psi is recommended for my tires for loads, but that is way too harsh for non-loads.) Having said that, my dog rides in his crate in the back and I think she finds the ride harsh...certainly harsher than my 12 year year Trooper, which the X5 replaced.[rolleyes]

I doubt he has the rear air suspension and I don't know what his tire pressure settings are...I doubt he knows, either. [:p] Either way, I don't think the rear air suspension would make the ride quality any better...it is just designed to keep the car level and to maintain the taut ride quality. Either way, I was just really disappointed with how harsh the ride was back there, and the room did not make it so great, either. But I am still so amazed at how stable the X5 is when taking curvy highway entrance/exit ramps and how much of a solid feel it has to it.

I recently had 3 adults in the back seat of my X5 4.4i sport for a long trip ( a few hours). Everyone said the ride was great and there were no complaints about space (unlike the ride in the back seat of my M3 )[:D] . I don't know if there is a difference in ride between the 3.0 and 4.4. Perhaps there is.

MrElussive said:
I doubt he has the rear air suspension and I don't know what his tire pressure settings are...I doubt he knows, either. [:p] Either way, I don't think the rear air suspension would make the ride quality any better...it is just designed to keep the car level and to maintain the taut ride quality. Either way, I was just really disappointed with how harsh the ride was back there, and the room did not make it so great, either. But I am still so amazed at how stable the X5 is when taking curvy highway entrance/exit ramps and how much of a solid feel it has to it.
I'll have to ride in the back of my X5 to try it! I continue to be totally impressed with the vehicle. The handling and performance are really wonderful. Interestingly, it is one of those vehicles that the longer you drive it, the more you appreciate it. [thumb]

You guys are fortunate!!

I will probably never get to ride in the passenger seat, let alone the back seat!! Only one license in my household, but maybe one day I'll get to experience what you guys have [8] . However, that's why I purchased such a Fun and Exhilarating (notice the CAPS) vehicle since I knew I had to drive all the time anyway, why not enjoy it [;)]

Reduce the tire pressure to what's stamped on the door (32psi I believe?) and it should improve the ride. I haven't heard any complaints at work about ride quality in the E53's as yet, and we service a LOT of them. [thumb]