New system in progress

adamsonem

1000 Post Club
Bought a Pioneer amplifier today (MSRP $120) for $70 dollars (open-item) [thumb] ... It's only 120w RMS (120w x 1ch / 60w x 2ch / 40w x 3ch - all bridgeable) / 240w Max power, but I don't want a lot.. Trying not to have my parents figure out [:p] ; I just want something to give me a little more than the (crystal-clear & deep, factory) bass I already have. I might get an XPlod sub/box for $30 tomorrow (which is a deal for the box alone!), and I'll get some pix when I get it all installed.. Here's the amp and please post your thoughts.

Yeah, 240 total shouldn't be too bad, but the sub you get will make a big difference. I've got an Alpine MRD-M300 amp pushing 300 watts, with a 12" infiniti DVC sub, and it sounds really good. Hope your system turns out as well as mine did.

adamsonem

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the input dood! I hope I can hear it (that it's not too soundproofed - I do have folding rear seats, so it might be nice). I'll let you know how it turns out when I get the sub and have it all installed...

epj3

You could build your own sub box. Look at the design of the sony's, and go out and buy what you need to make one just like it. You could probably do it for under 15 bucks. Make sure you let that amp keep cool

I don't agree with that.
Even though you can make a sub box by yourself with 15 bucks, the quality of the box is not good. You can only mimick it. Good sealing inside of the box can boost more than 3 db. So, I recommend buying a wooferbox that is made by car audio makers. Before purchasing boxes, you need to identify optimized inner space and the port size of the box.

epj3 said:
You could build your own sub box. Look at the design of the sony's, and go out and buy what you need to make one just like it. You could probably do it for under 15 bucks. Make sure you let that amp keep cool

Last edited:
BMWlover said:
I don't agree with that.
Even though you can make sub box by yourself with 15 bucks, the quality of the box is not good. You can only mimick it. Good sealing inside of the box can boost more than 3 db. So, I recommend buying a wooferbox that made by car audio makers.
Before purchasing boxes, you need to identify optimized inner space and the port size of the box.
i agree. for the average joe, itd be hard to make a box that is sealed correctly

Absolutely you are right (No offence). And I told you that because I had a terrible experience of making sub-box by myself. It is a pleasurable thing to make a box by oneself. So,,, I started working on cutting MDF and it seemed I saved a big money.

However, after a few days, the inner seal of the box was broken and the sound was not good. I needed to buy another sub box after all...zeez...i.e. Cost escalation ! If I had bought a sub box, I would have saved my money. [V]

I think there is a profound knowhow on making wooden boxes that can carry more than 400W-1000W.

BMWlover

epj3 said:
Hey, i didnt say it would be perfect, I was just saying if he doesnt feel like spending money on a sub box, that he COULD make his own.

Last edited:

pete28

just make sure the impediances work out for your bennifet. the power your amp make is probably at 2 ohms or 4 ohms. just make sure you get subs the are same impediance as your sub can handle.

for example
if you amp handles 50w at 4 ohms and wire 8 ohm sub you will only get 25w (not good)
or if you get 2 ohm subs you will overdrive your amp causing to fail much more quickly.
4 ohm sub.. just pefect!!

Building a box will not only save money, but will ultimately result in better sound. Say you buy a sub. The manufacturer has dimensions and specifications for a box designed for that sub, i.e. a custom box. Some box you buy in the store will fit your sub and any other sub on the market. I'm not sure if the manufacturer has better materials, the wood or mdf is the same I would think. So I say if you have the correct tools and woodworking skills go make a box. Or if you have the eagerness to learn and some time to kill, well go make a home for your sub. For me, I don't have a saw and haven't taken woodshop for some time now, so I'm having the install guy at the shop build it for me.

Well I guess this is besides the point. 30 bucks for a sub and a box, that aint to bad of a deal. Hope it sounds good.

Heezyo2o said:
Building a box will not only save money, but will ultimately result in better sound. Say you buy a sub. The manufacturer has dimensions and specifications for a box designed for that sub, i.e. a custom box. Some box you buy in the store will fit your sub and any other sub on the market. I'm not sure if the manufacturer has better materials, the wood or mdf is the same I would think. So I say if you have the correct tools and woodworking skills go make a box. Or if you have the eagerness to learn and some time to kill, well go make a home for your sub. For me, I don't have a saw and haven't taken woodshop for some time now, so I'm having the install guy at the shop build it for me.

Well I guess this is besides the point. 30 bucks for a sub and a box, that aint to bad of a deal. Hope it sounds good.
You're right about that. I listened to a lot of the subs at circut city that were all in the SAME box.... some sounded like crap, some sounded pretty good, and some were friggin awsome. None of the sound quality was related to price, the best one was a 12" infinity that was only 99 bucks.

I built my own box for my sub, took an afternoon and did everything to make sure it was sealed up tight. I even used bondo to fill in the gaps in the wood. Needless to say, it hits like mad for only 300 watts. You just have to know exactly what type and size enclosure your sub was designed for.