Alarm Worth the $?

I know there's been much written about the alarm system in these boards but I'd still like to hear if it's worth installing. It seems like activating the clown nose is enough.

I'm thinking about installing the alarm either buying online, self install and getting dealer to activate or just get the dealer to do it all. Anyone know how easy it is to install?

I've read on other BMW boards that pro car thieves are still able to break in with or without alarm.

Chendol said:
I know there's been much written about the alarm system in these boards but I'd still like to hear if it's worth installing. It seems like activating the clown nose is enough.

I'm thinking about installing the alarm either buying online, self install and getting dealer to activate or just get the dealer to do it all. Anyone know how easy it is to install?

I've read on other BMW boards that pro car thieves are still able to break in with or without alarm.
no alarm is going to stop a pro thief (that goes for any car). If you get the oem alarm, you also need to install a shock sensor, otherwise, someone could bash in your windshield and the alarm won't go off. the oem alarm is more to deter casual thieves/vandals.

The alarm is an easy DIY. I installed it not only to provide a deterrent that goes a step beyond just having a flashing clown nose, but I wanted to hear an audible beep when I lock the doors. Also, consider that the cost is somewhat offset by a decreased insurance premium.

Are you worried about somebody breaking in and stealing your car -- or just somebody breaking in? Because thieves don't steal BMW's and Mercedes anymore. I know that if someone steals a Mercedes, you just call Tele Aid from any phone and they will track down your car in a heartbeat. I am sure that BMW offers a similar service.

J

JamieD22

50/50

A lot of people don't realize how much security is already involved in BMW automobiles. As numbers would show they are relatively difficult to drive away with. Added alarms and other theft deterrents are often installed because of high pressure salespeople and/or a panic-like fear of someone harming their baby. I'm quite happy with my OEM alarm, the motion sensor, shock sensor, etc are more than enough to protect - though codex had a good point; if someone wants your car and knows how to get it, it's already gone. [fake]

How much is the alarm anyway?

Chendol said:

The answer is it depends on what you are trying to prevent.

Snatch and grab: There's probably nothing to prevent snatch and grabs. The window's broken and the targeted goods are taken so quickly, there's nothing to prevent or deter this activity. Activating the clown nose is probably as good as any other deterrent.

Stolen car: The tilt sensor in the OEM alarm might help prevent the car being towed away and stolen but the lojack is a much better deterrent.

Malicious damage: here a shock sensor is probably the best protection to avoid excessive damage - assuming the cretin is driven away by the shock sensor triggered alarm. View the alarm/shock sensor combo as a damage limiter.

flashinthepan

OEM Alarm for a Convertible ??

I dont want to waste alarm $$ money, but here is my delima.

If I lock valuables in the trunk of my 330 and someone steals a valuable in the trunk - an alarm would sound.

You guys help me on this one - I am rookie material:

With no alarm and a convertible, couldnt one just pull the trunk release ?? or is it not possible if the doors are locked ?? hopefully the trunk release in "inactive" if the doors are locked ?? has anyone tried this ?? I know it would be wise to never trust a lock or alarm...but I need something !! if all else for a few CD's etc...

I picture a thief jumping over the doors and unlatching the trunk lock. The convertible alarm does NOT come with motion sensor's, I wanted to always put the top UP..and have motion protection.

I have not taken delivery yet - and as you can tell, am slightly in the dark.

Any convertible owners car to comment ??

Thanks !!

flashinthepan

I may have found my answer,

As I suspected the trunck latch is only active with

A) An unlocked door

or

B) Ignition on

My brother said this is how his 911 works anyways.

I figured there must be some method of trunk safety on the Convertibles.

[8]

Thanks for all your replies.

I guess it depends on how paranoid I wanna get [paranoid] [:)]. Basically, I see an alarm as another level of deterence. For the pros, it won't work for sure but for the amature, it might. I've read that BMWs are difficult to steal but they'll still try to break in to steal CDs, whatever they can get their grubby hands on.

Some posts you guys might be interested in from other owners without alarms that were broken into:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14800&highlight=alarm

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6789&highlight=alarm

Note also that there's anti carjacking aftermarket alarms which is how most BMWs likely get stolen.

DO NOT leave your valet key in the manual wallet in the glove compartment. Thieves look for the non-blinking clown nose and then break-in looking for the valet key to drive off to a dealer to get the spares. Especially important if your car has new car plates! Read above posts!

Lo-jack is great but by the time the car is recovered, it's probably stripped bare.

I reckon I'll get some peace of mind with the alarm installed and wheel locks. I just wish BMW has the alarms and wheel locks installed as standard like other makes.