New X5!!! Bmw Press Release

THE NEW X5 IS COMING OUT!!!

IT Gets a bunch of new advances

NEW V8 315hp! 6-seed auto

A new V8 engine and two new six-speed transmissions – improved performance, economy and driving pleasure

The new BMW 4.4-liter V8 engine with VALVETRONIC valve control, Double VANOS and fully variable intake system has already set new standards for refinement and performance in the new BMW 7 Series. This engine, adapted to meet the requirements of a Sports Activity Vehicle, will now power the X5 4.4i. The 4.4-liter V8 generates 315 horsepower and accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in under 7 seconds. The new X5 4.4i is equipped with the new six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission, with six perfectly spaced gear ratios to ensure that there is always plenty of power on tap, while providing maximum efficiency.

The X5 3.0i will, of course, continue with its 3.0-liter, 225 horsepower, in-line six-cylinder engine. In traditional BMW fashion, those who prefer to shift for themselves will find a manual transmission as standard equipment. For 2004, this is upgraded to a six-speed manual.

xDrive: A world innovation in all-wheel drive systems

In order to make the most of the new powertrain updates, BMW’s newest all-wheel drive system helps to ensure optimum performance in all driving situations. The xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system is a completely new design, and it sets new standards among all-wheel drive vehicles for road holding and agility. The xDrive system performs stepless and variable distribution of drive forces between the front and rear wheels at an unprecedented speed.

xDrive reacts faster than other systems because it is able to think further in advance. It not only makes use of the information obtained from the wheel sensors, which signal when any of the wheels are spinning, but also data collected from Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system sensors. Yaw rate, the information regarding rotational movement of the vehicle itself, and the steering wheel position both supply important data concerning the current situation. This enables xDrive to distribute drive power ideally and at any given moment between the front and rear wheels, for instance during cornering, thereby significantly minimizing under- or oversteer.

In addition to the clear increase in agility and driving enjoyment, xDrive also provides great safety benefits. As a result of its fast reaction time, the new system provides greatly improved road h olding characteristics. Whether the driving surface is rough or smooth, it only takes a few milliseconds once friction is lost between the wheel and the road surface for the drive forces to be redistributed to the wheels that still have traction. The electronically controlled multi-disk clutch loses no time and reacts immediately. Thanks to xDrive, starting off on a slippery iced surface or climbing steep uphill slopes proves to be a simple exercise for the new X5.

Pronounced design elements sharpen the profile

The revised technical features of the X5 also provided the designers with a good reason to further improve the vehicle's visual appearance. This has resulted in a certain sharpening of the X5's character, making its enormous technical performance discreetly visible to the more sharp-eyed among us, with typical BMW understatement.

The front of the car has been completely revised right up to the A-pillar. The character lines in the hood are wider and higher and meet the double kidney grille (a typical BMW design). The kidney-shaped air inlets have also been redesigned; they have been enlarged and as a result they lend the X5 increased presence. Xenon low-beam and high-beam headlights, standard in the X5 4.4i and optional for the X5 3.0i, will provide outstanding road illumination. The dual headlights have been given more pronounced external contours, which means that along with the more rounded indicator lamps, they better match the new appearance of the BMW model range. As with some other recent BMW designs, the four round headlights are more pronounced thanks to the illuminated rings.

The front skirt section also receives a more pronounced design. Its air inlets are larger and divided in the center, representing a continuation of the character lines from the hood. At the rear, the new transparent tail light lenses harmonize perfectly with the fresh appearance of the new BMW X5.

CUT AND COPYED FROM www.bmwusa.com

Attachments

OWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our ML500 lease ends in like 15 months. I definitely want to replace it with the X5 4.4i as soon as it's finished !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew!!

Very nice and still no regrets. What I like most about the changes is the addition of the 6 speed steptronic transmission and even more so the illuminated rings for the headlights!! There should be a modification out soon for them [thumb] .

epj3

Nice! Though i must ask..why do company's always use the UGLY color's or the colors that dont look that great on their concept pictures?