need an opinion...

Ok guys, I want everyone who reads this to tell me what they'd do.

I'm going to get a M3 within the next 3 months (if things go as planned). I'm trying to decide if I should get a 95 E36 and tune it up (possibly forced induction), or just get an E46 and do minor upgrades (exhaust, chip, etc.). Just really looking for your opinion on the matter.

ILuvBMW

Definitely go for the E46. I personaly think they look better, and with the minor upgrades it will perform the same if not better then the heavily modded E36.

witht the money available go for the E46. the mods on the older E36 could end up in shop times and repairs while the newer E46, as
IluvBMW said, already this nice and fast is.

Unfortunately, most performance mods for the e46 aren't worth the $$.

I've recently seen a dyno test on the new Dinan software, (before and after), and it displayed very minimal HP gains. I mean in the single digit range.

I have yet to see a before and after dyno with aftermarket exhausts, but there is dramatic weight savings with a few of them. It seems that most people are stating that the deeper sound and weight savings are why they're getting these exhausts.

In every case where someone dynoed an aftermarket intake, they lost horse power.

Yeah, the only thing i'd do if i got the E46 is a rasp X midpipe from UUC to get rid of the raspy sound in the exhaust, and a few stereo tweaks.

BTW, The only real good performance mods for the E46 from what i've seen are a set of power pulleys and cams (+10 and +15 hp respectively), both at turner motorsport. I'd do the pulleys, but the cams would have to wait. And turner will also sell the OEM european exhaust system (+15 hp), but I'm not sure if it's fully street legal.

Hey, and while I'm at it, anyone want to sell me an Estoril Blue E46 M3 with grey interior? Non SMG please. Nav not really needed.

bmwracer

E36 v. E46

I must say that I would remain with the E36 unless you can afford a brand new E46. While the E46 is definitely a head turner and much quicker in stock form than the E36, I would be very hesitant to purchase a used one, primarily due to the well-known motor problems. Even for those cars that have had a warranty replacement, there is no guarantee that the previous owner continued the proper maintenance and care that this high performance motor expects. That said, you will experience immense enjoyment whichever option you may choose.

Cheers

go 4 the E36

Go for the e36 bro... my cousin got one and added turbos and superchrger and got that bad boy up to 500hp... give or take a few... E36's are totaly worth the money... if u buy the new E46... u could take the risk on damaging the engine or the manifold if u add even 50 hp. My buddy blew the trans on just a dinan stage 3 chip and a stage 2 download... dont risk it.[?|]

Attachments

vlad said:
Unfortunately, most performance mods for the e46 aren't worth the $$.

I've recently seen a dyno test on the new Dinan software, (before and after), and it displayed very minimal HP gains. I mean in the single digit range.

I have yet to see a before and after dyno with aftermarket exhausts, but there is dramatic weight savings with a few of them. It seems that most people are stating that the deeper sound and weight savings are why they're getting these exhausts.

In every case where someone dynoed an aftermarket intake, they lost horse power.
Definitely E46. You know that when you dyno-test an M3 you have to modify the computer right?? If the front wheels aren't spinning there is an RPM limit so max. hp can't be reached.

epj3

Re: E 3 6

CandyApple7 said:
older m3s are sweeter... clear corners...spoiler... rims... mods dude!!!! Lots and lots of MODS!!! SCREW WARRANTY!! WARRANTY? wTf?
Okay, for an AVERAGE consumer, who's mommy and daddy dont pay for their car, a warranty is a very very important thing

Come on guys, no need to argue about it. It's my choice in the end, and all the $$$ is coming out of my pocket, so no need to worry about the parents. CandyApple7, how reliable is your brothers car? If i do decide to go with a turbo E36, it's going to be very hard for me to find someone to work on the car locally, even the BMW tech I know said he doesn't fool with a turbo.

Ben0700

Not to be off topic but if you want the E46 i might be abe to get you a good deal on one... My dad is the GM at the bigget dealer in the country and i might be able to help you. Email me at Ben0700@aol.com and we'll talk. This is also for anyone who would like a new or not so used BMW.

The E46 doesn't see the same kind of gains from the aftermarket because it came from the factory in a very high state of tune and there is not that much more that can be done to it with a chip, intake, exhaust, etc. Dinan finally got a few horses out of it, but nothing near the kind of gain you can see on an S50/S52 US engine (E36 M3 3.0/3.2)

If you want a FI E36, and are worried about warranty issues, you want a Dinan SC. Even without a warranty, all you really need is one that was taken care of and a good local indy mechanic to work on it.

Find a nice FI E36 or three, there are several on autotrader as we speak, and drive it/them. Go drive an E46. Buy the one you like better. There is no 'right' answer, only a lot of opinions that sometimes masquerade as fact.