Best way to care for convertible soft top

Best way to care for convertible soft top?

How do you guys clean your soft tops? A friend of mine who has a convertible told me not to use soap except maybe once or twice a year because it will stain the top. He said to just use water. Have you guys ever heard of this or experienced this? I asked this question on the old forum, but I didn't get to check for answers before the boards were redone.

Last edited:
I generally use water, however I have been known to use soap too. I have never heard of anyone having damaged caused by soap nor have I ever experienced it on any of the 3 BMW converts in the family. I can't imagine damaged being caused unless you don't wash all of the soap off.

What type of damage have you heard about?

Convertible Top Care

Tweet227 said:
hmm interesting. I have never had that happen to me.

My convertible top seems a bit dry. The car is parked in open air.
I was told to spray silicone or lubrificant (saw it the owner's manual).
By lubrificant do they mean WD40?

I also used the Ragg Top cleaning kit....it is ok but did get rid completely of those white dots(bird drops most probably or tree sap)....I m gonna try again over the weekend...

Any suggestion appreciated

Regards

Jay

Big Daddy

I have used Ragg Topp cleaner and sealer since the car was new (98) and my top is the most pristine Z3 top I have seen. It is not stained, clean and beads water like a finely waxed car.

Big Daddy said:
I have used Ragg Topp cleaner and sealer since the car was new (98) and my top is the most pristine Z3 top I have seen. It is not stained, clean and beads water like a finely waxed car.

The stains on my top are either tree sap or bird drops....any advise how to get rid of them?

How often shoudl the Ragg TOP fabric protector be applied?

Fow squeaks sounds when opening the top should silicone or lubrificant be used to get rid of them?

Jay

JUS said:
use the porsche convertible top cleaner/recondition it works great makes your top look great.

JUS

Have you tried the Porshe top cleaner?

Any well priced internet link to get it from

How to eliminate squeaks when the top opens? Any tried using silicone?

Jay