New Wheels for 04 330cic

Question - I want to put new wheels on my car. I have the 17" sport wheels (68M) right now but I want to get at least 18" possibly 19" wheels.

1. Should I go to BMW to get the wheels or go somewhere else?
2. Will I have to lower my car if I want 19's?
3. If so, how much does it cost?

Any additional words of wisdom from those of you who have done this?

Thanks, [:D]

Tom

Staff Team
1. Should I go to BMW to get the wheels or go somewhere else?
Do a search on tirerack.com

2. Will I have to lower my car if I want 19's?
Nope you dont have to lower your car.

3. If so, how much does it cost?
Depends on what you choose, springs or coilovers.

Springs can be around $400-500 installed and coilovers can be up to $2000 installed.

flashinthepan

Tweet,

At least save/store your factory wheels, alot of guys (like me) prefer stock wheels in the long run or on a car destined to be a classic some day (most of the old 3 series Convertibles are classics), often a potential buyer wants stock & is willing to pay more.

Tom,

Your aftermarket wheels do look fine though !! Quite a nice ride !.

Flash

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Flash -
Have you had any problems with your 04 330cic? Just wondering cause my car has been in & out of service since the first week i got it. Nothing seems to work properly.

flashinthepan

Tweet,

I have appx. 4 weeks of waiting still, its been built but not shipped.

What should I watch out for ? I ordered the 6-speed. Metallic Black / Natural brown interior & Premium pkg. Did you get the factory alarm ??, I am undecided on that.

Any info much appreciated !!!

Flash

Well congrats - I know it is a tough wait. I too have the sapphire black metallic with black interior, sport, premium, & cold weather pkgs. I did not get the alarm simply becuase I think it is a waste of money. BMW's are very hard to steal unless you have a key (so dont leave your valet key in the glove compartment) and I don't think many people pay much attention to alarms when they are going off anyways, well at least by me.

The car was great, nice solid ride, excellent steering, great sound effects, everything felt strong. I had the car for about a week when I was driving from NYC to Boston. Halfway up the car started riding a little shaky, some vibration. My suspision grew but i figured this is its first real somewhat long trip, so just go easy. A few mintues later, such intense vibrations started happening, my check/service engine soon light came on. To make a LONG story short, a cylinder failed and i was running on 5 out of the 6 cylinders. The cause... still unknown, no one could find a reason why this happened. They said it could possibly be bad gas. So while I was in Boston, had the top down and it looked like it was going to rain, I went to put the top up and nothing. It didn't respond. Had to park it in a garage so it wouldn't get wet. The next day, not a problem, it went right up.

Since then my top has broken three times. Been in service for the top twice going in for the third on Monday. When I go to put the top back up, and it starts to come down it bounces like there are a few springs loose some where, not to mention the loud screeching sound that happens when it goes down. On a few other occassions the top has not wanted to go down. When I would press the button (there is a little red light next to the button that comes on when the top is either going up or down) the light wouldn't come on. BMW said it was something electrical and reset the power in the car.

Just last week I was driving and ALL of the lights on the dash, including radio & climate control just turned off. I didn't lose power, and everything still worked, but the lights went off for about 5 seconds.

Some other problems:
Since cylinder issue - car rides very rough
Automatic Windshield wipers don't work
Doors dont always unlock with the key
Speakers in the doors rattle and vibrate (horrible noise)
Windows squeak (even why dry)
Lights in trunk don't work
Leak in windshield wiper fluid bottle

In 2 1/2 months, this car has been in for service 5 times already. BMW hasn't been able to replicate some the problems therefor telling me they can't do anything. I truly do love the car when it isn't giving me problems, but I am just incredibly frustrated. This is our 5th BMW and never had we had any problems with any of them.

I wish you the best of luck with your car and I hope you don't experience any of the problems that I have with my car.

Alicia

flashinthepan

Alicia,

Wow !, that sounds like the car from hell ! I do sincerely hope BMW takes care of your issues - if not, please speak loudly on the internet, its not like you bought a Ford Focus for $10k.

I had a success story with my 4-Runner, An engine rod broke at 61,000 miles, I take very good car of my cars keep records etc...,and called Toyota - American Div., They fully replaced the short block and rebuilt the entire motor. I do not think the rods are forged or as sturdy as BMW internal parts...but service - excellent !!! They determined the probem as a failure & not poor maintenance.

How much did I pay ?

ZERO !!!

Geez....
I hope I did not pick the wrong Car company.
[:(!]

I guarantee you the highest level of pleasure with your new ultiamte driving machine. [:)] No other car can compare to the way a BMW drives.

Now as for going to the higher authority - I have contacted BMWNA and all they have done is contact the service manager at my dealership and let him know i was upset. Nothing has resulted from any of my MANY complaints I have made. But believe me, I will keep telling my story until someone does something.

Let me know how the new car works out once you get it!

Rim choices

My wife just got her '02 330 Coupe, and we're going to look for rims. So I'll be watching this section hoping to learn from you all. You're a great help!
The '02 is a Cdn car with M-Sports package and a custom interior. Oh, almost forgot--it has Dinan software, CAI, strut tower brace and exhaust.
Regards,
Dave
Mississauga

Blue

as far as the wheels go:
Go to an aftermarket place for the wheels, the dealer's markup is ridiculous. Also think long & hard about 18 or 19's - they look great and can you can be very happy with them, but don't forget about the sacrifice in ride quality and increased potential for rim damage. Performance gains may come with 18 or 19's, but in all reality they are negligible over your present sport package 17's. You can unload those Type 68's over the internet very easily. You should be able to get $800+ no problem for wheels & tires in good condition. They are a great looking wheel. Too bad you're across the country from me, or I'd try to buy them.

as far as the lemon goes:
Keep impeccable documentation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Brandish your owner loyalty like a weapon. Pound the BMWNA relentlessly. Have your attorney contact them. You're not trying to get a free lunch or "come out ahead" on the deal....you just want a friggin car that works. If BMW &/or your dealership are truly savvy, they will compensate you somehow for your trouble. It would be different if you were trying to get all your money back + damages so you could shop elsewhere. You really have to stay on them like wet on water if you want results. Otherwise, they'll just keep you coming & going through the revolving door. Research lemon laws in your area - you may need to show something like 10 service visits within a specific timeframe for you to have a case. Even though it's a pain in the ass, take your car in immediately if something doesn't work. For example, if the top decides to not go down one day, drive right in to the dealer. Don't wait and hope that it "magically" fixes itself overnight. Even if it works the next morning, it isn't fixed. Good luck.