Lousy radio reception in '98 528i

I've noticed that my '98 528i can't pull in radio stations that I have no problem getting in my wife's older '94 325ic, or in my previous Audi A4.

Could I have a bad connection to the antenna built into the rear window, or is this just the nature of the beast?

If the former, can someone point me to where the connection might be found?

Thanks,
Bob

normally the antenna works just fine. i assume it is the connection. how to check? pull the radio out and look if it is plugged in properly. if yes the wire itself good be bad.

Re: Same bs problem

treadonme said:
When you get a "good" answer let me know. Reception is absolutely pitiful ever since I bought the damn thing used form a dealer.
Roger that, Tread. I'll report back if I ever find a solution. I wonder if those antennas in the rear window just plain aren't as good as a normal antenna? But my A4 had the same deal, and it worked fine. Taking it in soon for routine maint, so will ask while there.

Bob

The window antennas have a signal amplifier in the circuit so checking to see if the plug is in the back of the unit is not enough. You need to find where the booster is and check the wiring and power there. Many of these have very small terminals that attach to very small pins on the unit and these become loose very easily.

You may also want to check the LO/DX setting on the tuner as this is the setting to reject weaker signals.

BMW radios have lousy tuners anyhow but do normally pick stuff up if a little crackly. Pioneers super tuners are unbeatable.

[cheers]

Trev

Hugh Jarse said:
BMW radios have lousy tuners anyhow but do normally pick stuff up if a little crackly.
Thanks, Hugh.. I'll try to find that set of connections. But, we aren't talking "a little crackly".. we're talking the noise drowns out the signal. And yet, switch to FM and all is fine. But I like the talk shows on AM, and the reception is horrendous. Do the AM and FM in the 528i use different circuits or antennas? Or is it as you said, the radio is simply lousy at pulling in weak stations?

Bob

onnyap

Listen-up guys, we have to accept the facts that not all things churned out by BMW is perfect or damn good. Radio tuner is one of them but it is not a problem. Just replace it with a NAKAMICHI. My persistent problem is the instrument cluster and it don't come cheap.

Trev

onnyap said:
My persistent problem is the instrument cluster and it don't come cheap.
Tell me about it! My wife's car is from Canada, and when we registered it here we found we were required to change instrument clusters so it read in miles instead of kilometers. Sigh. I forgot how much that was, but I think it was over $500.. and that's just for a '94 325ic.. before all the fancy digital stuff started showing up.

Maybe I should just swap out the radio, but it looks weird and non-standard size. I remember some threads here about that, so will go search them out.

BTW, off on vacation starting tomorrow.. so if anyone doesn't get a reply that will be why. :)

Bob