2004 on-board nav system

As I eagerly wait for my 2004 325xi car to be sent to production, I'm thinking about adding the gps navigation system. Like the "cool" factor, but am a bit concerned about the negative reviews I've read. Does anyone know what improvements have been made for the current year, or insights about whether its even worth the $1,800. Specifically, does this thing have a touch screen yet? Am I better off just buying a Garmin StreetMap and calling it a day?

The navigation system itself works well. It will get you to your destination without a problem. It's the user-friendliness that is an issue. But once you learn how to use it, it will be a blast. If you feel you can justify the $1,800 for the Navigation System, then go for it! Personally, I will never get another car without a navigation system. [:)]

Thanks for the feedback. I'm basically sold on getting the system to complete my cockpit, but at this pace I may have a lot of time to think it through since BMW seems pretty slow to build the damn car.

I'm sure its going to be well worth the wait. I'll try to be happy in the Explorer for a few more months.

zaeboe

Get Nav. I just got my car a week ago and the nav has been great. Today I needed gas and it gave me twenty options I didn't know about in a city I've visited 100 times with absoutely no problem getting to the one I chose. The knob control is very intuitive and I'm jamming through destinations and info on it as fast as I want/need to. I really think its sophistication is understated (ingeniously) because its hidden behind only 1 knob.

Besides, the touch screen is germ warehouse ( [xx(] ) w/everyone's fingers poking at & smearing it up! Do you know where that thing has been and how often you have to clean it?
An 03 nav manual is available in PDF form if you want to take a closer look.

hakjai

definately go for the nav...hey did u guys hear bout this mod you can do so that you can play DVD's (movies) on ur navigation, i know this is unsafe and unnecessary but i was just curious about why you have to mod to do this?