Is the 840 ci a good car

Need some member feed back here ..i ran across a 1994 840 ci
coupe it was in good condition and it had all the service records
and manauls , it also had the 4.0 V8 instead of the V12 i was told
to be leary about the first generation 4.0 blocks because of the
high sulphur content gas that tends to damage the cylinder bores
through 1994-1995 causing loss of compression , kinda spooked me to here that with such a nice looking car having those problems in some models , what do you do ? change the gas
grade ? i was told to change the block but i know that cant get
very exspensive once again the car looks good and carfax was clean ..any suggestions are welcomed about the V8 4.0 is welcome and the car itself ...thanks dwayne [confused]

TAKE it to a bmw dealar and have them check the car over. Some people rig used cars to make them sound good and run good. I went to go see 1995 740il black loaded and when the guy came around the corner to show it to me there was a cloud of smoke coming from behind it. ( he said he had changed the oil him self ) i think that he maybe put the non synthetic in it.

[pray] TO THE 7

Attachments

Well Well looks like after alot of research i finally got the truth about these cars , I found out that you really have to be carful
with the years from 1993 on up to 1995 with nikasil engine blocks and with so many diffrent gas mixtures here in the us i can imagine the danger lurkin under used bmws with that type of curse so how do you tell which material is your block ? i was told to check the numbers under the right front of the car they have engine casting numbers on the right side directly along side the 3rd cylinder slightly above the coolant drain bolt , Here is the casting numbers this wil be a great help for anybody wanting to be safe of that nightmare

Nikasil M60 B30 1 725 970 or 1 741 212
Nikasil M60 B40 1 725 963 or 1 742 998

Alusil M60 B30 1 745 871
Alusil M60 B40 1 745 872
Alusil M62 B44 1 745 873

Note : All M62 engines are Alusil

This is the only way to determind which M60 you have short of removing the cylinder head , Also in performance engine repairs or rebuilding procedures in the future it is imperative that you correctly indentify the cylinder block as the pistons and rings used in each style are diffrent and not interchangable also perform a manual leakdown test 15%percent spells trouble youl need another block ..this is some useful information for the blind in buying a bmw i heard a few rumors of the Niksil V8 getting over 100.000 but have to see it to beleive it , write this down and check your castings on your block for a peace of mind it woke me up beforei opened my wallet maybe this will help keep it closed
Dwayne [^]

Attachments

very nice dlynch

i smell nothin but V12 power on that dlynch any dinan mods lerking in there because i can see the custom filters almost bought a V12 in a 7 series but after the bmw dealer got through
ringing up the tally my legs buckle so i opt for the 740il the motor has balls and some and pac man in your wallet to lol thanks for the sweet pic !![hihi]

Attachments

Dinan yes

When my wife found it she had looked at a lot of 850i's. This one had aged well; it had been gracefully upgraded with a number of new features, including wheels from a Csi and Dinan chips. It was lowered too.

Paul Michael Brown was extremely helpful telling us what to watch for as we narrowed our search. If I remember properly, that included DK motors (operating the throttles), seat tracking, and a number of other issues.

During the time we were part of that group, some of the cars were custom chipped by Jim Conforti improving power output and throttle response.

It was the first? drive-by-wire car. We learned to pick our service departments well. Windsor BMW was worth the drive from out town.

Dave

CHRIS

840ci

I recently went through the same thing. I found a 95 840ci and after researching found out about the nikasil engine. The block had not been changed and I opted not to buy. I did find a 91 850i and bought it. I would appreciate any feedaback on the car. I just saw one with K&N cone filters. Are they worth it and where do I get them? Any other good mods?

Thanks
Chris

reply to chris

Well all i can say after owning a fresh 740il ..and gettin bit by the 8 series bug i to are going to buy one as well a 91 850i pearl diamond white , with 69,000 miles on it ..i was a big dummy at first dealing with finding out about them ..worked on corvettes and gm cars for years ..i thought il be lost in repairing my own ..
i found out alot of info at bmw e31.com also they have a write up
on some dyno tests on this john conforti chip thats suppose to increase the V12s horspower levels over dinan.. really good technical information ..theres alot of mod set ups out there ..just finding the right combination you like is the trick ..i heard alot of horror stories about the car ..which is said about any high perfomance luxury car in its class ..but back when they first came out you couldnt even touch it with the high sticker price ..and the poor 840's with nikasil motors i seen some clean ones to ..with those bad blocks its really a shame ..its a sweet car that got caught in a time when folks were into something else ..Also
i am hooked aint nothing like V12 period if you need some more info give me a buzz our holler at dlynch and one more thing those famous parallel spoke rims that bmw had on there 7 series
that are hella exspensive ..i found a tire company that sells the rims for dirt cheap and in chrome instead of the silver alloy look
those rims cost 6, grand at the dealer ...heres the website www.lessschwab.com in there catalog collection ...[thumb]

Attachments