Driving experience with a Mercedes CLK 500

I was racing my 330 Ci with/against a Mercedes CLK 500 (whose license plate was NEW CASH) in front of me on a 20 km (12 mile) stretch of Canadian highway the other day at autobahn speeds, and much to his surprise I'm sure, I was able to "tailgate" him all the way. Too bad BMW limited its North American models in speed....I mean, afterall, Car & Driver or was it some other magazine wrote that the manual BMW 330i tied the Mercedes CLK 500 automatic in 0-60 acceleration time.

I thought that was sort of fun since he was the one who was weaving in & out, cutting traffic off. Especially since that Merc has a more powerful engine and way more horsepower
Too bad the BMW has an engine cutoff....Why is that again???

This is an *old* link comparing the BMW to the old Merc CLK 430 coupe (amongst others) but still worth a browse....

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comp...edmunds.e.comparison.content...Mercedes-Benz*

Maybe they limit the speed so you don't get away from the cops. It would be stupid to limit speed in the German cars cause of the autobahn. If you follow the law here, you won't need that high speed anyway, so that's probably their reason. Or maybe 3 series becomes harder to control after 128 mph and since here in US there are so many stupid court cases, they wanted to play safe. Anyway, I'm just guessing.

rjp325i

BMW, Mercedes, Porche and others all signed onto an agreement to limit the top speeds even in Germany however, the speed it is limited to is 155mph. This was an agreement politically motivated to satisfy some environmentalists for whatever dumb reason.