E-Bay horror stories?

ILuvBMW

Okay well I am really posting this to be a first in the forum, but does anybody have any horror stories about buying cars from E-Bay or autotrader or anyplace? I have already seen the one baout the dude in florida who got the stolen E30.

Autotrader and e-bay are way different. I bought a car I saw in Autotrader. I had a friend in the area check it out, had the seller send pics and contemplated (priced out) an independent appraisal service.

My friend said it was nice and the pics showed it so I took a little ride (from New Jersey to Georgia[screwy]) one weekend to check it out in person. I bought the car and trailered it back myself.

I would say that if you going to buy and expensive car spend the money on the appraisal (about $150) and consider going to get your car since I've heard a lot of stories about disappointing auto haulers.

If you are not spending a lot then look close to home so you can see with your own eyes what you are getting. [8]

I wouldn’t buy anything that cost over $200 off Ebay – too much risk involved for me.[nutkick]

But I have sold a bunch of stuff on eBay!

epj3

jrtoons said:
Autotrader and e-bay are way different. I bought a car I saw in Autotrader. I had a friend in the area check it out, had the seller send pics and contemplated (priced out) an independent appraisal service.

My friend said it was nice and the pics showed it so I took a little ride (from New Jersey to Georgia[screwy]) one weekend to check it out in person. I bought the car and trailered it back myself.

I would say that if you going to buy and expensive car spend the money on the appraisal (about $150) and consider going to get your car since I've heard a lot of stories about disappointing auto haulers.

If you are not spending a lot then look close to home so you can see with your own eyes what you are getting. [8]

I wouldn’t buy anything that cost over $200 off Ebay – too much risk involved for me.[nutkick]

But I have sold a bunch of stuff on eBay!
See, i dont understand that. A seller with 1000 positive feed back is, in my opinion, more trustworthy than an actual company somewhere online. I buy/sell on ebay all the time, if it werent for ebay, my mom would have gotten 100 dollars for some old marimba she bought for 75 bucks in 1975 (instrument), but becuase of ebay we got 750 dollars. Of course we were a little surprised, but the buyer paid up.

That's just what I was talking about! I can't believe what people have paid me for stuff so that is the good part. But I don't trust anybody so I don't buy much from eBay.

If someone wants to buy from eBay I say have at it. I just personally wouldn't go for anything of great value.

I sold my red 1997 328is on Ebay. I really miss that car [:(] . The guy came from NY. Stupid ex-wife - I had to sell it because of her. [mad] The feedback means a lot and if I buy from someone on ebay they have to have excellent feedback. I have purchased several items and have been very satisfied.

My ex-roommate bought a 2000 Prelude from eBay sight unseen. He paid $600 to have it shipped from Florida to Texas, and he still ended up saving over $4k vs. what they were going for locally. It's been over a year and he's still happy with it.

Autotrader sucks, it is just like going to a dealership. Buy from a trustworthy seller from eBay with lots of feedback and you'll save a lot. I've seen many car sellers with over 98% positive feedback. That is an insanely good CS ratio.

Buying locally through private sellers via classifieds sucks as well. For some reason, most private sellers think they can get dealer prices for their cars, and they also tend to hide more.